Everyone at Spark Accountants sends their very best wishes for a merry Christmas and happy new year to all customers, suppliers and partners. Here’s a bit of festive fun from Spark’s staff …
What is the first Christmas you remember?
- Will Parkes, trainee account controller: Christmas 2007, my brother and I got a Wii as a shared present, so we had all the family over to play on Wii sports.
- Emily Smith, senior account controller: Not sure which year it was, but I remember the lovely Christmas-y smell of our real Christmas tree.
- Lewis Callaghan, account controller: When I was around six, so in 2005, when we had our first dog. One to remember.
- Zach Sahin, trainee account controller: Christmas 2014 – I remember Christmas’s before, but this is the first year specifically remembered.
- Carrie Sweet, payroll controller: The one memory of Christmas that sticks out in my head is when I was about seven or eight and my sister pulled the Christmas tree on top of me!
- Josh Dovey, trainee account controller: I remember being in primary school rehearsing and performing our school nativity so it must have been mid 2000s. I think I was playing a shepherd (hard to remember)!
- Matt Smith, operations director: 1982 … I got a Lego castle and I’ve still got it!
- Phil Burnell, managing director: 1986, when I got a He-Man sword for Christmas and could walk to my Grandma’s house after breakfast!
- Luise Dobson, client manager: Probably being taken outside on Christmas day to see my new Wendy house!
Best Christmas present ever?
- Will: VIP Red Panda Experience at Yorkshire Wildlife Park.
- Emily: I’ve had some nice jewellery – a couple of bracelets that I really love.
- Lewis: My first set of golf clubs – where it all began.
- Zach: 2014 PS4 – still works well after eight years, even if it sounds like an airplane getting ready to take off!
- Carrie: Family time.
- Josh: Probably the first FIFA I got for the Nintendo DS I had at the time. I think it was FIFA 08 and I played it non-stop.
- Matt: My Sinclair Spectrum 128K – my first ever computer!
- Phil: Snooker table Father Christmas bought me when I was nine!
- Luise: The Wendy house, built for me by my Dad.
Worst pressie given/received?
- Will: A pair of socks that were too big as they were meant for my older brother.
- Emily: Tea towels!
- Lewis: My grandma bought me a hammer and nails and said it may come in use some day!
- Zach: Socks
- Carrie: My mom bought me coat hangers and a shoe rack.
- Josh: At secondary school I had my mate for Secret Santa in our maths class and got him a grow your own plant in a box, as he got it me the year before.
- Matt: Paid for my wife’s car to be MOT’d and serviced!
- Phil: Hairdryer – it’s a touchy subject.
- Luise: A pair of charm earrings, without any charms – so essentially just two bits of wire.
Favourite Christmas song?
- Will and Emily: Fairytale of New York.
- Lewis: Wouldn’t say I have a fave, but the one I hear on the radio the most is Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is You.
- Zach and Josh: Happy Xmas (War Is Over).
- Carrie: Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is You.
- Matt: Jona Lewie – Stop the Cavalry.
- Phil: Wham! Last Christmas.
- Luise: Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses.
Favourite Christmas food?
- Will: Mince Pies.
- Emily: Chocolate Yule log.
- Lewis, Josh, Matt and Phil: Pigs in blankets.
- Zach: Main Christmas dinner.
- Carrie: Sprouts!
- Luise: Eggnog – not technically a food, I know, but it does have eggs (obviously).
Worst Christmas food?
- Will: Brandy Sauce.
- Emily, Lewis, Zach and Phil: Sprouts!
- Carrie: Pigs in blankets.
- Josh: I always leave the Bounty bars in the box of Celebrations!
- Matt: Boiled potatoes.
- Luise: Trifle – there is no need for that combination of textures in one dish.
New year’s resolution?
- Will: Get back into cycling and running.
- Emily: To do more exercise…it won’t happen 😉
- Lewis: Eat less Pringles.
- Zach: Make a perfect start to Kaplan [financial training].
- Carrie: To go back to the gym!
- Josh: Try and get back into running, then complete a long-distance run, as I did loads in lockdown not really since.
- Matt: Spend more time with the family.
- Phil: To get back on my bike!
- Luise: Never bother making them.